Feeling the need for some rest, relaxation and a little pampering? A visit to a pedicure salon may be on your list of things to do. If so, you need to read the following 10 tips before you go.
1. Bring Your Own Instruments
This will help decrease the risk of catching viruses, bacteria and fungus
. Things to bring include: nail nipper, cuticle nipper, cuticle pusher and curette cleaner.
2. Ask About Instrument Cleaning
Does the salon sterilize their instruments or do they just disinfect? Sterilization of instruments by autoclaving
is the better choice.
3. Ask What Type of Foot Bath is Used
Usually the whirlpool foot bath is either piped or pipe-free. It is thought that pipe-free is better because piped whirlpool foot baths have been found to contain bacteria in their pipes, jets and water filtration systems. The pipe-free whirlpool foot baths can easily be removed for cleaning. If the foot bath
uses a liner, make sure that a new liner is being used each time.
4. Ask If Disposable Items Are Used Only OnceItems such as nail files, foot files, buffers and toe separators should be used only once. You may want to consider bringing your own disposable items with you.
5. Make Sure Technician's Hands Are Clean
The nail technician should wash their hands in between clients. If they do not wash their hands, request that they do or that they wear gloves. Be cautious of a technician with fake (artificial) fingernails
. It is hard to clean the area between the fake fingernail and the real fingernail.
6. Ask If the Salon and Technician Are Licensed
The salon and technician should both be licensed by their state governing board
. Usually the board of cosmetology. The licenses should be clearly displayed at the salon.
7. Don't Shave Legs 24 Hours Before Appointment
Nicks and cuts from shaving create small openings in the skin where bacteria
can enter. If you have any open sores, wait until they heal before getting a pedicure.
9. Check If the Salon is CleanThe salon itself should be clean and well kept. This is usually a good indicator of how well they take care of their instruments and other salon equipment.
10. You Should Have No Pain
Getting a pedicure at the salon should not be a painful experience. Just like any business
, there are good salons and not so good salons. Find a pedicure salon that follows strict sterilization procedures and find a technician who does not cause pain or bleeding